Adam Rickwood killed himself 6 hours after use of a restraint by Serco staff using a PCC approved physical restraint at Hassockfield Secure Training Centre in 2004. He was aged just 14.
For more details see
- Adam Rickwood’s Story by Carolyne Willow .
- Adam Rickwood 1. R v HM Coroner and Others 22 Jan 2009 High Court 
- Adam Rickwood 2. R v HM Coroner and others 3 Feb 2010 
- Adam Rickwood 3. R v Sec State Justice 6 Feb 2015 Court of Appeal 
The monitoring and enforcement of the contract and placement of children was performed by the Youth Justice Board.
David Waplington authored what is called a “Report” on the Use and Effectiveness of Physical Control in Care and this is apparently it. This was obtained through a FOI Request 
STC – Secure Training Centre
PCC – Physical Control in Care ie Physical Control in Care Training Manual (2003 edition) developed by the HM Prison Service which was the recognised and approved manual for dealing with physical restraints of young people
The 2 page Report says
- PCC is less than effective and inadequate method of control and because of that, pain compliance techniques like nose distraction [in practise a hit on the nose] had increased. It should be augmented and strengthened.
- Despite that fact PCC was not permitted for compliance all SYC but was in fact one of the main reasons for its use. This use should not be dressed up as needed for safety or security.
- PCC is used too frequently and too soon. Urgent need for improved methods of behaviour management and better staff training.
- Information on PCC needs reviewing
Waplington Report on the Use and Effectiveness of Physical Control in Care [2a]
The Youth Justice Board added this information to their response.
Note that since this report was written (in 2004) a new system of restraint, Minimising and Managing Physical Restraint (MMPR), has been rolled-out in Secure Training Centres and Young Offender Institutions (with the roll-out due to be completed in the last such establishment, Parc YOI, later this year). More information about MMPR can be found here:
The Report also mentions other sources of information
- Report from National Instructors on the use of PCC at Hassockfield
- Post graduate dissertation on use of PCC at a STC Hassockfield
- Review of PCC by Bleetman and Boatman
- Part 2 of the review aiming to find improved methods of behaviour management
- Louise Bakers Inquiry into death of young person at YTC
It would be interesting also to know the use of force figures and the legislation that allows use of force on children.
There was also a video of the restraint taken.
Due to time pressures I will not be following up the above , but it would be useful for anyone interested to submit a FOI request.
Please note that victims of abuse may be triggered by reading this information. These links are generally UK based.
- The Sanctuary for the Abused [A] has advice on how to prevent triggers.
- National Association for People Abused in Childhood [B] has a freephone helpline and has links to local support groups.
- One in Four [C]
- Havoca [D].
- Useful post on Triggers [E] from SurvivorsJustice [F] blog.
- Jim Hoppers pages on Mindfulness [G] and Meditation [H] may be useful.
- Hwaairfan blog An Indigenous Australian Approach to Healing Trauma [J]
- Survivors UK for victims and survivors of male rape or the sexual abuse of men [K]
- Voicing CSA group [L] helps arrange survivors meetings in your area
- A Prescription for me blog Various emotional support links [M]
- ShatterBoys -“Male Survivors Of Childhood Sexual Abuse Inspiring change, Through Shared Experience Whilst Building Connections…Together We Can Heal” [N]
 2017 Feb 14 Cathy Fox Blog Adam Rickwood 1. R v HM Coroner and Others 22 Jan 2009 High Court https://cathyfox.wordpress.com/2017/02/14/adam-rickwood-1-r-v-hm-coroner-and-others-22-jan-2009-high-court-of-justice/
 2017 Feb 14 WhatDoTheyKnow FOI Request for Waplington Report https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/waplington_report#incoming-951376
[2a] 2017 Feb 14 WhatDoTheyKnow FOI Request for Waplington Report, Response with Report https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/389791/response/951376/attach/3/Waplington%20report.pdf
 2007 Feb 18 Cathy Fox Blog Adam Rickwood’s Story by Carolyne Willow https://cathyfox.wordpress.com/2017/02/18/adam-rickwoods-story-by-carolyne-willow/
 2017 Feb 15 Cathy Fox Blog Adam Rickwood 2. R v HM Coroner and others 3 Feb 2010 High Court https://cathyfox.wordpress.com/2017/02/15/adam-rickwood-2-r-v-hm-coroner-and-others-3-feb-2010-high-court/
 2017 Feb 15 Cathy Fox Blog Adam Rickwood 3. R v Sec State Justice 6 Feb 2015 Court of Appeal https://cathyfox.wordpress.com/2017/02/15/adam-rickwood-3-r-v-sec-state-justice-6-feb-2015-court-of-appeal/
[A] Sanctuary for the Abused http://abusesanctuary.blogspot.co.uk/2006/07/for-survivors-coping-with-triggers-if.html
Many spiders when they unite can tie down a lion – Ethiopean Proverb