According to Michael Hames book Dirty Squad, Operation Spanner was mainly to do with consensual but extremely violent sado masochism. One such act was slicing the penis of another with a scalpel.
Some of those arrested in Operation Spanner had links and were charged with offences related to child sexual abuse.
Ian Donaldson appears to have been in charge of Operation Spanner, although it seems DPP coordinated the Inquiry.
82 potential defendants were interviewed and more contacts could have been followed up.
16 were charged
The average age was 50 and jobs varied from missile designer, lawyer, civil servant, forester, care assistant for mentally disabled, 2 restauranteurs, lay preacher, former fire officer, computer operator, retired finance officer, antiques restorer, tattooist, porter, and former pig breeder.
Acts of sadomasochism occurred in Whitchurch, Pontypridd, Birmingham, Bolton, Evesham, Cambridge, London.
- Johnny Atkinson had been violently raped at a childrens home as a boy
- Colin Lasky previous conviction for buggery on a boy, 5 years sentence charged with indecent photographs of a child
- Cadman – ice cream vendor access to boys aged 11/12 was his preference
- Lofthouse – Norfolk
- Christopher Zimmerli – Hampstead, Lawyer for international company
- Roland Jaggard – missile designer British Aerospace, sadist with blood interest, liked penile mutilations
- James Phippen
- Donald Anderson – charged with bestiality
Bulk of charges related to assault or bodily harm.
- Colin Lasky 5 years
- Forester and care worker 3 and half years
- computer operator and ice cream vendor involved with children, 4 and half years
- missile engineer and lay preacher 3 years
- finance officer 33 months
- pig breeder a year
- 4 suspended sentences
- one fine
- one probation
- one conditional discharge
See also Times Law Report on European Court of Human Rights Appeal Laskey, Jaggard and Brown v UK ECHR Times Law Report (Operation Spanner) 
See also Operation Greenlight Operation Spanner  Cadman, Lofthouse, Zimmerli and Lasky
Here is the Mike Hames Chapter on Operation Spanner The Dirty Squad 
Index of Newspaper and Journal articles on this blog 
Index of Court Appeals on this blog 
1989 Oct 10 Glasgow Herald Fifteen charged after Operation Spanner 
1992 Feb 21 Times Law Reports Brown, Laskey, Jaggard, Lucas, Carter, Cadman – Court of Appeal (Spanner) 
1993 Mar 12 Times Law Reports Brown, Lucas, Jaggard, Laskey, Carter – House of Lords (Spanner) 
1997 Feb 20 Times Law Report Laskey, Jaggard and Brown v UK ECHR (Operation Spanner) 
1997 Times Law Report Laskey, Jaggard and Brown v UK – EHCR (Spanner) 
all related to this post 2017 Mar 24 Cathy Fox Blog 2000 Apr 6 Michael Hames The Dirty Squad 
Please note that victims of abuse may be triggered by reading this information. These links are generally UK based.
- The Sanctuary for the Abused [A] has advice on how to prevent triggers.
- National Association for People Abused in Childhood [B] has a freephone helpline and has links to local support groups.
- One in Four [C]
- Havoca [D].
- Useful post on Triggers [E] from SurvivorsJustice [F] blog.
- Jim Hoppers pages on Mindfulness [G] and Meditation [H] may be useful.
- Hwaairfan blog An Indigenous Australian Approach to Healing Trauma [J]
- Survivors UK for victims and survivors of male rape or the sexual abuse of men [K]
- Voicing CSA group [L] helps arrange survivors meetings in your area
- A Prescription for me blog Various emotional support links [M]
- ShatterBoys -“Male Survivors Of Childhood Sexual Abuse Inspiring change, Through Shared Experience Whilst Building Connections…Together We Can Heal” [N]
 2000 Apr 6 Michael Hames The Dirty Squad https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/cka/Dirty-Squad-Michael-Hames/0316853216/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1490120494&sr=8-3&keywords=Michael+hames
 2017 Mar 8 Cathy Fox Blog Heroes for Exposing Child Sexual Abuse – Part 1 – Peter McKelvie https://cathyfox.wordpress.com/2017/03/08/heroes-for-exposing-child-sexual-abuse-part-1-peter-mckelvie/
 2017 Mar 24 Cathy fox Blog Laskey, Jaggard and Brown v UK ECHR Times Law Report (Operation Spanner) https://cathyfox.wordpress.com/2017/03/24/laskey-jaggard-and-brown-v-uk-echr-times-law-report-operation-spanner/
 Operation Greenlight Operation Spanner https://webbrain.com/brainpage/brain/0FE31538-2121-8495-33A5-86073BE95DE1/thought/918#-10156
 2017 Mar 25 Cathy Fox Blog 1989 Oct 10 Glasgow Herald Fifteen charged after Operation Spanner https://cathyfox.wordpress.com/2017/03/25/glasgow-herald-10-oct-1989-fifteen-charged-after-operation-spanner/
 2017 Mar 24 Cathy Fox Blog Laskey, Jaggard and Brown v UK ECHR Times Law Report 1997 Feb 20 (Operation Spanner) https://cathyfox.wordpress.com/2017/03/24/laskey-jaggard-and-brown-v-uk-echr-times-law-report-operation-spanner/
 2017 Mar 24 Cathy Fox Blog Laskey, Jaggard and Brown v UK – Times Law Report 1997 EHCR (Spanner) https://cathyfox.wordpress.com/2017/03/25/laskey-jaggard-and-brown-v-uk-times-law-report-1997-ehcr-spanner/
 2017 Mar 24 Cathy Fox Blog Brown, Laskey, Jaggard, Lucas, Carter, Cadman 21 February 1992 Times Law Reports Court of Appeal (Spanner) https://cathyfox.wordpress.com/2017/03/25/brown-laskey-jaggard-lucas-carter-cadman-21-february-1992-times-law-reports-court-of-appeal-spanner/
 2017 Mar 24 Cathy Fox Blog Brown, Lucas, Jaggard, Laskey, Carter 12 March 1993 Times Law Reports House of Lords (Spanner) https://cathyfox.wordpress.com/2017/03/25/brown-lucas-jaggard-laskey-carter-12-march-1993-times-law-reports-house-of-lords/
 2017 Mar 24 Cathy Fox Blog 2000 Apr 6 Michael Hames The Dirty Squad https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/cka/Dirty-Squad-Michael-Hames/0316853216/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1490120494&sr=8-3&keywords=Michael+hames
[A] Sanctuary for the Abused http://abusesanctuary.blogspot.co.uk/2006/07/for-survivors-coping-with-triggers-if.html
Many spiders when they unite can tie down a lion – Ethiopean Proverb